How I Read: Les Mis

 When I first found out we were going to be reading Les Misérables I thought it would just be another boring analysis of a book I didn't want to read. However, it has actually been a quite enjoyable book. One of the most enjoyable parts for me has been the Bishop. I like his character so much because of how consistently good he is. He understands what the right thing to do is and doesn't change his beliefs for any body. The 3 literary techniques that I have noticed the most are the indirect characterization, setting, and the foreshadowing. The author had used a lot of indirect characterization with the bishop. The amount of respect just Madame Baptistine has for him tells us that he is a really good person. And if that wasn't enough, almost all his actions in the book, even the ones where he is alone, back up the idea that he is just a good,, honorable person. I've also really appreciated the details in the setting. I always really enjoy when the author gives really good settings because it makes the world their creating even more real. Like how in depth the author went about the Bishop's house and all the little details about how worn down it was. Settings like that are also kind of indirect characterization in the sense that it clues us in on how the Bishop lives his personal/private life. The last literary technique I've really noticed is the foreshadowing, specifically in the titles. Like chapter 9, The Brother As Depicted By The Sister, or chapter 6, Who Guarded His House For Him. Those kind of chapter titles really clue you in about what the chapter will be about. It also kind of gets you interested/wondering about the specifics of the chapter and what it entails.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's Symbolic.

Les Mis Part 1 Summary

I Have The Answers